5-B3. Kiri Gothic
Last Modified: 11 Sep 2021
Kiri Gothic (Kirigo) is a font family derived from Source Han Sans, an open source font family from Adobe. Differences between Kiri Gothic and its original Source Han Sans JP are as follows:
- Reassigned CIDs in accordance with Adobe-Japan1-7. The glyphs for characters that are not included in Adobe-Japan1-7 have been populated on and after CID+23060 (Because of this, the ROS is Adobe-Identity-0).
- Glyphs for 𛀀 and 𛀁 (Unicode: U+1B000 and U+1B001）in the Kana Supplement block and several composite kana have been added.
- Rotated glyphs of proportional Latin and half-width katakana characters have been added for vertical writing mode.
- The last stroke and its preceding stroke are connected in き and さ.
- Additions of Latin and other characters:
- The following 248 characters have been added since version 2.100:
- JIS X 0213 characters missing in Source Han Sans (171 characters):
æ̀ Ą ą Ć ć Ĉ ĉ Č č Ď ď Ę ę Ĝ ĝ Ĥ ĥ ħ Ĵ ĵ Ĺ ĺ Ľ ľ Ł ł ŋ Ő ő Ŕ ŕ Ř ř Ś ś Ŝ ŝ Ş ş Š š Ţ ţ Ť ť Ů ů Ű ű Ź ź Ż ż Ž ž Ɠ ǂ ǽ ɐ ɒ ɓ ɔ ɔ̀ ɔ́ ɕ ɖ ɗ ɘ ə ə̀ ə́ ɚ ɚ̀ ɚ́ ɜ ɞ ɟ ɠ ɤ ɥ ɦ ɧ ɨ ɬ ɭ ɮ ɯ ɰ ɱ ɲ ɳ ɵ ɹ ɺ ɻ ɽ ɾ ʁ ʂ ʃ ʄ ʈ ʉ ʊ ʋ ʌ ʌ̀ ʌ́ ʍ ʎ ʐ ʑ ʒ ʔ ʕ ʘ ʝ ʡ ʢ ˈ ˌ ː ˑ ˘ ˛ ˝ ˞ ˥ ˥˩ ˦ ˧ ˨ ˩ ˩˥ ̂ ̃ ̆ ̈ ̋ ̏ ̘ ̙ ̚ ̜ ̝ ̞ ̟ ̠ ̤ ̥ ̩ ̪ ̬ ̯ ̰ ̴ ̹ ̺ ̻ ̼ ̽ ͡ ὰ ά ὲ έ ‾ ‿ ⅓ ⅔ ⅕
- What JIS X 0213 seems to have failed to support correctly (6 characters):
ɑ̀ ɑ́ ɛ̀ ɛ́ ʛ ͜
- For Full IPA Chart (30 characters):
ɛ ɢ ɣ ɪ ɴ ɶ ɸ ʀ ʏ ʙ ʜ ʟ ʰ ʲ ʷ ʼ ˠ ˡ ˤ ̊ ᷄ ᷅ ᷈ ⁿ ⱱ ꜛ ꜜ ˧˥ ˩˧ ˧˦˨
- For the Latin language support (24 characters):
Ā̆ ā̆ Ĕ ĕ Ē̆ ē̆ Ĭ ĭ Ī̆ ī̆ Ō̆ ō̆ Ū̆ ū̆ Ÿ Ȳ ȳ Y̆ y̆ Ȳ̆ ȳ̆ Ǽ Œ́ œ́
- Others (15 characters):
İ ı ſ ǵ ȷ ʻ ˆ ˚ ˜ ̅ ̇ ̧ ̨ ̶ 0︀(slashed-zero)
- The following 3 characters have been added since version 3.010:
- For Full IPA Chart:
ǀ ǁ ǃ
- The following 113 characters have been added since version 4.000:
- Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, and others included in Adobe-Japan1-7:
ˁ ꞵ ꭓ Ċ ċ Ė ė Ğ ğ Ġ ġ Ģ ģ Ħ Į į Ĳ ĳ Ķ ķ ĸ Ļ ļ Ŀ ŀ Ņ ņ ŉ Ŋ Ŗ ŗ Ŧ ŧ Ų ų Ŵ ŵ Ŷ ŷ ΄ ΅ ⁄ ⁰ ⁵ ⁶ ⁷ ⁸ ⁹ ₀ ₁ ₂ ₃ ₄ ₅ ₆ ₇ ₈ ₉ ⅛ ⅜ ⅝ ⅞ ∆ ∏ ≤ ≥ ◊ Ά Έ Ή Ί Ϊ Ό Ύ Ϋ Ώ ά έ ή ί ϊ ΐ ό ύ ϋ ΰ ώ Ђ Ѓ Є Ѕ І Ї Ј Љ Њ Ћ Ќ Ў Џ ђ ѓ є ѕ і ї ј љ њ ћ ќ ў џ
- Added italic glyphs (Since Version 4.000).
- Added vertical glyphs for the combining dakuten and handakuten diacritics (U+3099 and U+309A), the combining enclosing circle and square (U+20DD and U+20DE). If the VORG feature is supported by the font renderer of your system, these glyphs are placed on the preceding glyph.
- Changed the widths of the glyphs for Greek and Cyrillic characters to be fullwidth. The original (proportional) widths of them are brought back when the "palt" feature of OpenType is applied.
Because every modification has been applied to source code and I build it using Adobe's tool (AFDKO), the quality and features are basically as the same as the Source Han Sans family, except the changes mentioned above. Hinting, IVS, GPOS and GSUB data have been inherited from Source Han Sans.
The following fonts are provided under SIL Open Font License 1.1, following Source Han Sans.
- Accept the license above and download Kiri Gothic 4.100 (Derived from Source Han Sans JP 2.004):
In italic versions, only characters whose code points are up to U+017F and whose glyphs are included in Adobe-Japan1-7 Collection are shown in italic. Italics of other letters, such as Greek, Cyrillic characters, are not supported.
Both roman and italic versions share the same glyph set. When you use any of Kiri Gothic with an application that supports the "ital" feature of OpenType (such as InDesign), you need not to download an italic version separately.
Glyphs for Western Letters
Glyphs for Western letters included in Source Han Sans (SHS) are based on Source Sans Pro (SSP), another open source font family from Adobe.
SSP includes many characters that are not supported by SHS. To bring in part of them into Kiri Gothic, in Kiri Gothic version 2.100 and later, glyphs for Western letters such as the Latin, Greek, and Cyrillic characters and IPA symbols have been replaced with ones that have been generated directly from the source code of the variable font version of SSP.
Because both the glyphs for Western letters in Kiri Gothic and the ones in SHS came from the same glyph outline data, they have fundamentally the same shapes. But it does not have been open to the public how Adobe converted glyphs of SSP to the ones included in SHS.
Consequently, for Western letters, every glyph in Kirigo does not have necessarily the same outlines as the one in SHS. Some glyphs in Kiri Gothic may be the same as the ones in SHS to such an extent that both glyphs have the same outline data, whereas some in Kiri Gothic may have a shape being slightly different from the one in SHS.
- 4.110 (20210911):
- Adjusted the design of the glyph for U+1B001/𛀁.
- Changed the glyph width of U+03C2 (CID+16222) to be fullwidth (Accidentally left out of the changes in version 4.100).
- Only italic versions: Added the string "Italic" to the name table explicitly.
- 4.100 (20210529):
- Updated the base font to Source Han Sans JP 2.004. Considering the fact that outlines were subtly changed between 2.002 and 2.003, the modified glyphs for "きぎき゚さざ" in Kiri Gothic were recreated based on the glyphs included in version 2.004.
Furthermore, the glyphs for "𛀀𛀁" were also modified a bit.
- Changed the widths of the glyphs for Greek and Cyrillic characters to be fullwidth. The original, proportional widths of them are brought back when the "palt" feature of OpenType is applied.
- 4.010 (20201116):
- Updated the base font to Source Han Sans JP 2.002.
- Added more anchors for stacking diacritics.
- 4.000 (20201031):
- Added about 1000 glyphs; additional Latin, Greek, Cyrillic characters, italic forms of Latin, etc.
- Added anchors to diacritics glyphs, mainly for composition with IPA symbols.
- Removed the glyphs for tone marks (U+302A~U+302D).
- 3.011 (20200912): Removed some redundant data.
- 3.010 (20200823):
- Added glyphs for U+01C0, U+01C1, and U+01C3.
- Added glyph substitution data for the Latin characters and diacritics, such as A ̀ -> À.
- 3.000 (20200819):
- Updated the version number to 3.000 (The major version number should have been increased in the previous version as all the CIDs were reassigned).
- Following the IPA chart, the sequence of code points for the rising-falling symbol of the Contour has been changed from uni02E7+uni02E6+uni02E7 to uni02E7+uni02E6+uni02E8.
- 2.200 (20200814):
- Updated the base font to Source Han Sans JP 2.001.
- Updated the base font for Western letters to Source Sans Pro 2.050 (which seems to have been the latest version when Source Han Sans 2.001 was released).
Accordingly, the glyph for ſ has been replaced with the one included in SSP instead of the one made myself, as this version of SSP began to support this character.
- Reassigned the CID numbers of glyphs in order for them to be a superset of Adobe-Japan1-7.
- Fixed the glyph for U+21B9, the Tab key symbol on a keyboard, which was flipped horizontally (a bug inherited from Source Han Sans).
- Added vertical glyphs for the combining dakuten and handakuten diacritics (U+3099 and U+309A), the combining enclosing circle and square (U+20DD and U+20DE), and tone marks (U+302A-U+302D).
In Source Han Sans, it is intended that the default glyphs for these characters are shifted right-upwards by combining the vert feature and GPOS. However, this is unlikely to work expectedly because this use of the vert feature is not explained in the OpenType specification. Thus, Kiri Gothic switches to a safer way, the combination of vert and GSUB.
- 2.101 (20181231):
- Disabled switching the glyph for U+2026 depending on locale.
- Added glyphs for FFF9..FFFB, FDD0..FDD2.
- 2.100 (20181211): Added 248 characters, Latin, IPA etc..
- 2.000 (20181203): Updated the base font to Source Han Sans JP 2.000. Accordingly, added the following changes:
- Reflecting modification added to kana glyphs in SHS, modified the glyphs for 𛀀 and 𛀁 of Kirigo's addition, and remade the glyphs for き, ぎ, き゚, さ, and ざ whose shapes are modified in Kirigo.
- Changed the PostScript name from KiriSans to KiriGo.
- Style-linked Regular and Bold weights, in accordance with the SHS.
- 1.007 (20170923): Updated GSUB data so that the following glyphs will be rotated in vertical writing mode:
* References: the "features" file of Adobe-Japan1 and the data of UAX #50.
- Eight arrow glyphs which were left off the group of characters that should be rotated (☜☝☞☟➡⬅⬆⬇).
- Ruled lines of U+2500-U+257F.
- 1.006 (20170909): Added half-width katakana to the group of characters that should be rotated in vertical writing mode. (Addition of rotated glyphs and GSUB data.)
- 1.005 (20170902): Fixed a bug that could cause an unsupported character to be shown as an unrelated glyph because of remaining of cmap data inherited from SHS that need to be removed.
- 1.004 (20170527): Changed the font family name from Desiete Kaku Gothic (Desiete角ゴシック) to Kiri Gothic (霧ゴシック).
- 1.004 (20170426): Updated the base font to Source Han Sans JP 1.004.
- Fixed an issue that caused the glyphs さ and ざ for vertical writing mode to be used even in horizontal writing mode, only in Kiri Gothic Light.
- For U+1B000 and U+1B001, added new glyphs for vertical writing mode. (Ones for horizontal writing mode have been included since the first release.)
- As a patch for Word's too wide line-spacing problem in veritcal writing mode, removed the glyph for the two-em dash, too. (The one for the three-em has been removed since the first release.) Adjusted the values of FontBBox reflecting removal of the glyphs for two- and three-em dashes.
- Did some optimization so as to increase the possibility of copying and/or searching when the font is embedded in a PDF file.
- 1.001 (20140914): Updated the base font to Source Han Sans JP 1.001. Reflecting minor modificaton added to kana glyphs in SHS, adjusted the glyphs for き and さ in SHS. Added the name string "Desiete角ゴシック" as the font family name to be used in Japanese locale.
- 1.000 (20140803): The first release. (Derived from Source Han Sans JP 1.000.)