5-B4. Kiri Minchō
Last Modified: 21 Aug 2021
Kiri Minchō (Kirimin) is a font family derived from Source Han Serif, an open source font family from Adobe. Differences between Kiri Minchō and its original Source Han Serif JP are as follows:
- Reassigned CIDs in accordance with Adobe-Japan1-7. The glyphs for characters that are not included in Adobe-Japan1-7 have been populated on and after CID+23060 (Because of this, the ROS is Adobe-Identity-0).
- Glyphs for 𛀀 and 𛀁 (Unicode: U+1B000 and U+1B001）in the Kana Supplement block and several composite kana have been added.
- Rotated glyphs of proportional Latin and half-width katakana characters have been added for vertical writing mode.
- The second strokes of ね and れ have been changed (reference).
- Additions of Latin and other characters:
- The following 252 characters have been added since version 1.100:
- JIS X 0213 characters missing in Source Han Serif (175 characters):
æ̀ Ą ą Ć ć Ĉ ĉ Č č Ď ď Ę ę Ĝ ĝ Ĥ ĥ ħ Ĵ ĵ Ĺ ĺ Ľ ľ Ł ł ŋ Ő ő Ŕ ŕ Ř ř Ś ś Ŝ ŝ Ş ş Š š Ţ ţ Ť ť Ů ů Ű ű Ź ź Ż ż Ž ž Ɠ ǂ ǽ ɐ ɒ ɓ ɔ ɔ̀ ɔ́ ɕ ɖ ɗ ɘ ə ə̀ ə́ ɚ ɚ̀ ɚ́ ɜ ɞ ɟ ɠ ɤ ɥ ɦ ɧ ɨ ɬ ɭ ɮ ɯ ɰ ɱ ɲ ɳ ɵ ɹ ɺ ɻ ɽ ɾ ʁ ʂ ʃ ʄ ʈ ʉ ʊ ʋ ʌ ʌ̀ ʌ́ ʍ ʎ ʐ ʑ ʒ ʔ ʕ ʘ ʝ ʡ ʢ ˈ ˌ ː ˑ ˘ ˛ ˝ ˞ ˥ ˥˩ ˦ ˧ ˨ ˩ ˩˥ ̀ ́ ̂ ̃ ̄ ̆ ̈ ̋ ̌ ̏ ̘ ̙ ̚ ̜ ̝ ̞ ̟ ̠ ̤ ̥ ̩ ̪ ̬ ̯ ̰ ̴ ̹ ̺ ̻ ̼ ̽ ͡ ὰ ά ὲ έ ‾ ‿ ⅓ ⅔ ⅕
- What JIS X 0213 seems to have failed to support correctly (6 characters):
ɑ̀ ɑ́ ɛ̀ ɛ́ ʛ ͜
- For Full IPA Chart (30 characters):
ɛ ɢ ɣ ɪ ɴ ɶ ɸ ʀ ʏ ʙ ʜ ʟ ʰ ʲ ʷ ʼ ˠ ˡ ˤ ̊ ᷄ ᷅ ᷈ ⁿ ⱱ ꜛ ꜜ ˧˥ ˩˧ ˧˦˨
- For the Latin language support (24 characters):
Ā̆ ā̆ Ĕ ĕ Ē̆ ē̆ Ĭ ĭ Ī̆ ī̆ Ō̆ ō̆ Ū̆ ū̆ Ÿ Ȳ ȳ Y̆ y̆ Ȳ̆ ȳ̆ Ǽ Œ́ œ́
- Others (15 characters):
İ ı ſ ǵ ȷ ʻ ˆ ˚ ˜ ̅ ̇ ̧ ̨ ̶ 0︀(slashed-zero)
- The following 3 characters have been added since version 2.010:
- For Full IPA Chart:
ǀ ǁ ǃ
- The following 113 characters have been added since version 3.000:
- Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, and others included in Adobe-Japan1-7:
ˁ ꞵ ꭓ Ċ ċ Ė ė Ğ ğ Ġ ġ Ģ ģ Ħ Į į Ĳ ĳ Ķ ķ ĸ Ļ ļ Ŀ ŀ Ņ ņ ŉ Ŋ Ŗ ŗ Ŧ ŧ Ų ų Ŵ ŵ Ŷ ŷ ΄ ΅ ⁄ ⁰ ⁵ ⁶ ⁷ ⁸ ⁹ ₀ ₁ ₂ ₃ ₄ ₅ ₆ ₇ ₈ ₉ ⅛ ⅜ ⅝ ⅞ ∆ ∏ ≤ ≥ ◊ Ά Έ Ή Ί Ϊ Ό Ύ Ϋ Ώ ά έ ή ί ϊ ΐ ό ύ ϋ ΰ ώ Ђ Ѓ Є Ѕ І Ї Ј Љ Њ Ћ Ќ Ў Џ ђ ѓ є ѕ і ї ј љ њ ћ ќ ў џ
- Added italic glyphs (Since Version 3.000).
- Added vertical glyphs for the combining dakuten and handakuten diacritics (U+3099 and U+309A), the combining enclosing circle and square (U+20DD and U+20DE). If the VORG feature is supported by the font renderer of your system, these glyphs are placed on the preceding glyph.
- Removal of characters that look to be for regions other than Japan, such as bopomofo.
Because every modification has been applied to source code and I build it using Adobe's tool (AFDKO), the quality and features are basically as the same as the Source Han Serif family, except the changes mentioned above. Hinting, IVS, GPOS and GSUB data have been inherited from Source Han Serif.
The following fonts are provided under SIL Open Font License 1.1, following Source Han Serif.
- Accept the license above and download Kiri Minchō 3.100 (Derived from Source Han Serif JP 1.001):
In italic versions, only characters whose code points are up to U+017F and whose glyphs are included in Adobe-Japan1-7 Collection are shown in italic. Italics of other letters, such as Greek, Cyrillic characters, are not supported.
Both roman and italic versions share the same glyph set. When you use any of Kiri Minchō with an application that supports the "ital" feature of OpenType (such as InDesign), you need not to download an italic version separately.
Glyphs for Western Letters
As in Kiri Gothic, starting with version 3.000, Kiri Minchō began to include new glyphs that are created directly from Source Serif Pro (SSP) for Latin, Greek, and Cyrillic characters, instead of the ones that were created from the SSP glyphs by Adobe and are included in Source Han Serif (SHS).
Although the glyphs for Western characters in both families (KiriMin and SHS) are all derived from the same SSP glyphs, unlike the pair of Kiri Gothic and Source Han Sans, there are differences relatively in the outlines of the glyphs between these two families. So, for the time being, the final version of Kiri Minchō version 2 that includes the glyphs inherited from Source Han Serif is also made available.
- 3.100 (20210821):
- Changed the widths of the glyphs for Greek and Cyrillic characters to be fullwidth. The original, proportional widths of them are brought back when the "palt" feature of OpenType is applied.
For the purpose of this change, the glyph widths of the following characters have been narrowed: U+040A, U+0428, U+0429 (all weights), U+0389, U+0416, U+042E (only bold).
- Added GSUB data from Adobe-Japan1's features file.
- 3.000 (20201111):
- Added about 1000 glyphs; additional Latin, Greek, Cyrillic characters, italic forms of Latin, etc.
- Added anchors to diacritics glyphs, mainly for composition with IPA symbols.
- Removed the glyphs for tone marks (U+302A~U+302D).
- 2.030 (20201030): Created a snapshot as the final one of version 2.
- 2.010 (20200823):
- Added glyphs for U+01C0, U+01C1, and U+01C3.
- Added glyph substitution data for the Latin characters and diacritics, such as A ̀ -> À.
- 2.000 (20200819):
- Updated the version number to 2.000 (The major version number should have been increased in the previous version as all the CIDs were reassigned).
- Following the IPA chart, the sequence of code points for the rising-falling symbol of the Contour has been changed from uni02E7+uni02E6+uni02E7 to uni02E7+uni02E6+uni02E8.
- 1.300 (20200814):
- Reassigned the CID numbers of glyphs in order for them to be a superset of Adobe-Japan1-7.
- Fixed the glyph for U+21B9, the Tab key symbol on a keyboard, which was flipped horizontally (a bug inherited from Source Han Serif).
- Added vertical glyphs for the combining dakuten and handakuten diacritics (U+3099 and U+309A), the combining enclosing circle and square (U+20DD and U+20DE), and tone marks (U+302A-U+302D).
In Source Han Serif, it is intended that the default glyphs for these characters are shifted right-upwards by combining the vert feature and GPOS. However, this is unlikely to work expectedly because this use of the vert feature is not explained in the OpenType specification. Thus, Kiri Minchō switches to a safer way, the combination of vert and GSUB.
- 1.201 (20181231):
- Disabled switching the glyph for U+2026 depending on locale.
- Added glyphs for FFF9..FFFB, FDD0..FDD2.
- 1.200 (20181203): Changes are as follows:
- Replace the glyphs for U+02C7 and U+02D9 with the ones as the same shape as the ones for U+030C and U+0307, respectively,
- For 12 vowel glyphs on which the macron and breve are put, adjusted the place of the breve diacritic (Ā̆ ā̆ Ē̆ ē̆ Ī̆ ī̆ Ō̆ ō̆ Ū̆ ū̆ Ȳ̆ ȳ̆).
- Changed the PostScript name from KiriSerif to KiriMin.
- 1.103 (20170923): Updated GSUB data so that the following glyphs will be rotated in vertical writing mode:
* References: the "features" file of Adobe-Japan1 and the data of UAX #50.
- Eight arrow glyphs which were left off the group of characters that should be rotated (☜☝☞☟➡⬅⬆⬇).
- Ruled lines of U+2500-U+257F.
- 1.102 (20170909): Added half-width katakana to the group of characters that should be rotated in vertical writing mode. (Addition of rotated glyphs and GSUB data.)
- 1.101 (20170902):
- Fixed a bug that could cause an unsupported character to be shown as an unrelated glyph because of remaining of cmap data inherited from SHS that need to be removed.
- Removed some glyphs for the numbers that were not used in the JP locale.
- 1.100 (20170826): Addition of 252 glyphs. Latin, IPA and other characters.
- 1.001 (20170527): Changed the font family name from Desiete Minchō (Desiete明朝) to Kiri Minchō (霧明朝).
- 1.001 (20170513): Updated the base fonts to Source Han Serif JP 1.001. Reflected minor modification added to the glyph of ね in SHS.
- 1.000 (20170422): The first release. (Derived from Source Han Serif JP 1.000.)
The glyphs for Western characters in Kiri Minchō version 3.000 and later are a bit different from the ones that were included in version 1 and 2:
- Version 1 and 2: contained the glyphs inherited from Source Han Serif and the additinal Latin/IPA glyphs that were created in accordance with the outlines of the inherited glyphs.
- Version 3~: contained the scaled glyphs that were derived from Source Serif Pro and my own additinal glyphs for IPA symbols.
The final version of Kiri Minchō 2 that includes the old glyphs is avilable here:
* No difference between the contents of the 7-zip and zip archives.